Tobacco is a dangerous substance that can lead to untreatable damage. Many teens participate in the use of smokeless tobacco, also known as chew or spit, thinking they have found a safer option than cigarettes. However, many studies will prove that spit tobacco is actually significantly more addictive and harmful. Even one dose per day is said to deliver the same amount of nicotine as 60 cigarettes would. Tobacco works fast in your system, only taking a few months to cause issues like gum disease and cancerous lesions like leukoplakia. Other symptoms and signs of tobacco use can include:
- White and red patches over the lips or tongue
- Pain or numbness near the mouth and lips
- Struggles with daily functions like chewing, speaking or moving the tongue.
- Difficulty with the ability to smell or taste
- Stained or discolored teeth